Shower panels are becoming an increasingly popular choice for homeowners and renters alike. So, what are they and why are they such a good choice? If you're looking to spruce up your bathroom, one way to do it is by installing shower panels. Shower panels can add a touch of luxury to any bathroom, and they're not as difficult to install as you might think. Not only will new shower panels give your bathroom an updated look, but they can also increase the value of your home.
If you're planning a bathroom renovation, you're probably wondering what type of shower to choose. There are many factors to consider, but one of the most important is the material. Should you go with traditional tiles or opt for something different, like shower panels? Let’s take a look.
What Are Shower Panels?
Shower panels are large, single pieces of material (usually acrylic, stone, or some other 100% waterproof material) that are used in place of traditional shower tiles. Shower panels come in a variety of colours and styles and can be installed relatively easily by anyone with basic do-it-yourself skills.
The Benefits of Installing Shower Panels
When it comes to choosing shower panels over any other type of material or even tile, how do you know that they are the best option for you? Here are 4 benefits to bear in mind.
1. Quick & Easy Installation
Shower panels are much easier to install than tile. If you're doing a DIY renovation, this can save you a lot of time and effort. At the same time, they come in a variety of colours and styles, so it's easy to find an option that fits your taste too. With proper care and maintenance, shower panels can last for years. This is due to their durability and waterproof nature.
2. Easy Clean & Maintenance
There are many benefits to using shower panels instead of traditional shower tiles. First and foremost, shower panels are much easier to clean than tile. They can simply be wiped down with a cloth and some soap instead of scrubbed with a brush or sponge. This is a big plus for anyone who doesn't enjoy cleaning their shower on a regular basis. Shower panels are very low maintenance, unlike tile, which needs to be sealed and grouted on a regular basis.
3. They’re More Affordable
Another benefit of shower panels is that they're generally more affordable than tile. This is especially true if you opt for cheaper materials like acrylic instead of stone or marble. If you're looking for a way to save money on your bathroom remodel, shower panels are definitely worth considering. In short, shower panels are usually more cost-effective than tile, both in terms of materials and installation.
4. They Add a Luxury Touch
Finally, shower panels add a touch of luxury to any bathroom. If you're looking for a way to make your bathroom stand out from the rest, then choosing stylish shower panels is a great way to do it! You'll be surprised at how much difference something as simple as switching out your old tile for new shower panels can make.
Preparing Your Walls for Shower Panels
One of the most important aspects of installing shower panels is preparing your walls correctly. If your walls are not prepared properly, the panels will not adhere properly and could eventually fall off. To prepare your walls, you'll need to do the following:
- Thoroughly clean the wall. Be sure to remove any soap scum, mildew, or dirt.
- Once the wall is clean, use a putty knife to fill in any cracks or holes. If there are any large gaps, you may need to use caulk or expanding foam.
- Once the wall is smooth, apply painters tape around the perimeter of the area where you will be installing the shower panel. This will help create a clean, straight edge.
Preparing to Install
Now that your walls are prepared, you're ready to install the shower panels. To do this, you'll need the following materials:
- A power drill and drill bits
- A hole saw attachment for your power drill
- A caulk gun
- Silicone sealant
- A level
- Tape measure
- Marker or pencil
- Jigsaw with a fine tooth blade
Installing Your Shower Panels Step by Step
- Begin by taking measurements of your shower. You'll need to know the width, height, and thickness of the shower wall in order to purchase the right size shower panel. Most panels are made out of acrylic or PVC and range in thickness from 1/8" to 1". Once you have your measurements, add an extra 1/4" on each side to allow for expansion.
- Next, use a tape measure and level to find the centre of your shower wall. Once you've found the centre, make a mark with a pencil or marker. Then, use the tape measure to find the studs behind the drywall or tile.
- Once you've located the studs, use a drill bit to pre drill holes for the screws that will secure the brackets that hold up the shower panel.
- While someone holds the bracket in place, insert screws into the pre drilled holes and tighten them with a power drill until the bracket is secure against the wall.
- Repeat this process for each bracket, making sure that each one is level before moving on to the next one.
- Trim any excess material off of the bracket using a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade.
- Finally, apply silicone sealant around edges where needed.
- Allow plenty of time for everything to dry before using your new shower panel.
Styling Your Shower Panels Today
If you're considering redoing your bathroom, then be sure to keep shower panels in mind! They offer many advantages over traditional shower tiles, including being easier to clean, more affordable, and more stylish. With so many benefits, it's no wonder that they're becoming such a popular choice among homeowners and renters alike.